Gum Illness and Treatment
If you have periodontal illness, your dentist may refer you to a periodontist, a dentist who makes a speciality of treating this condition.
Without proper treatment, periodontal illness can lead to tooth loss.
Prevent Periodontal Disease : Practice Good Dental Hygiene consistent good dental hygiene.
The following action can help stop gingivitis and periodontitis:
- Brush twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste ( be sure to replace toothbrushes every One – A quarter ).
- Clean between the teeth with floss or an interdental cleaner.
- Eat a well balanced diet and limit between meal snacks.
- Have regular visit with a dentist for teeth cleaning and oral exams.
- If you smoke, you need to quit. Smoking is a major risk factor for gum illness.
Scaling and root planning is the first approach for treating periodontal illness. This process is a deep cleaning to remove bacterial plaque and calculus ( tartar ). Scaling involves scraping tartar from above and below the gum line. Root planning smoothes the root surfaces of the teeth. Your dentist will reevaluate the successfulness of this treatment in follow-up visits. If deep periodontal pockets and infection remain, periodontal surgery might be recommended
For more information on Gum Illness and Treatment please visit Gum Disease Treatment